Rainbow Taco Salad
Mess Level: Low
Yield: 2 Servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
For the Salad:
- 1 Cup Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- 1 ½ Colored Bell Peppers
- 1 Cup Black Beans
- 1 Avocado
- ½ Cup Feta or Cotija Cheese
- 1 Tomato
- ½ Red Onion
- 3 Cups Fresh Greens
- Jalapeno Lime Vinaigrette or your favorite dressing
For the Meat (optional):
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or Beef
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Rinse the black beans and all vegetables well and let them drain. Any excess water will wash off your dressing.
- Brown the ground meat in a skillet with the spices and oil adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile cut all your vegetables into a small dice, cutting the avocado last.
- Toss the greens with the vinaigrette and divide it into two serving bowls. Layer the chopped vegetables, beans, cheese and meat in rows. Crumble tortilla chips on top and serve. Enjoy!
Did You Make It? Tag Us!
What other ingredients could I use?
Picture walking up to build your burrito at Chipotle - Anything there would be great on a taco salad. Chop some cilantro into the salad, add some corn, saute some peppers and onions, make it with some steak... The salad is your oyster.
What other kinds of cheese would be good?
- Whatever cheese you use it's sure to be Gouda!
Cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella or try making your own ricotta! (click below to learn how)
Ramblings of a Line Cook
Do you know the secret to making a salad that you actually want to eat? *looks around.. Leans in and whispers* You don’t put very much lettuce in it. Not that you have to load it up with an extra 700 calories of stuff but you gotta work around the lettuce. And don’t use iceberg. The only thing iceberg is good for is wilting in the fridge or topping a taco bell chalupa-gordita-chiquita-dorito, to give the illusion that you’re getting some nutritional value from the concoction.
No, my preferred salad will have some greens with integrity that can quietly blend in behind the real food. I got carried away in the produce department and ended up with more colored vegetables than I could fit on the salad in symmetrical little rows but fortunately for you, you’re likely not trying to take a photo of this salad for your food blog and so you can pack as many colors onto yours as you feel like!
I’ve also found that when eating a salad in order to keep myself from scarfing down three cookies an hour later I usually need to add some carbs to it. A few croutons or in this case some crumbled tortilla chips. Tony found the most delicious, blue corn tortilla chips (Red Hot Blues) that are dusted with some kind of hot pepper spice and man I could just eat the whole bag… Which I did not… I did however do a number on this salad and I have full confidence you will too!