Butternut squash is a very popular, yet also slightly challenging gourd to cook with. Here we’ll show you how to safely break it down in a few easy steps.
What You’ll Need:
- Cutting Board
- Chefs Knife
- Vegetable Peeler
- Lop off the top and the bottom of the squash to create a flat surface.
- Peel one end of the squash in long strips going away from yourself, then flip it and peel the other end.
- Cut off the round end of the squash and scoop out the seeds.
- Take the long, neck of the squash, set it on its flat surface, and cut it into planks.
- Stack two planks at a time and cut them into sticks, then turn the pile and cut the sticks into a dice.
- Take the round end of the squash, set it on its flat surface and cut it into planks.
- Trim off any uneven edges and cut it into sticks, then rotate the pile and dice it into cubes.
I just need squash puree.
- When the can won't cut it...
No problem, you can skip the dicing & peeling. Just split the squash lengthwise down the middle & scrape out the seeds. Rub the cut surface with oil and salt and roast cut-side down in the oven until tender.
Is butternut squash skin edible?
- Buffet sushi is, but we would never recommmend...
Technically yes, although I would never recommend someone eating it. It’s highly unpleasant and I can’t imagine it would be easy to digest.