Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
Mess Level: Low
Yield: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- ½ Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 Tortillas
- Hot Sauce (optional)
- 3oz Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Cut the sweet potato into a small dice.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil. Salt it till it tastes like the ocean. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Drain and add to a skillet.
- Open a can of black beans and rinse until the water runs clear. Add the black beans to the sweet potatoes along with the cumin and pepper. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally till warmed through. Add a little cooking oil if it begins to stick.
- When it's hot, shut off the heat and juice the lemon over the mixture. Taste and add seasoning as needed.
- Serve in warm tortillas as is or with cheese and your favorite hot sauce or salsa. Enjoy!
Did You Make It? Tag Us!
Ramblings of a Line Cook
“Wait, where’s the meat?” You might ask. I actually made chicken to go with the black bean, sweet potato tacos the first time and Tony and I both agreed it didn’t need it! The combo of black beans and sweet potatoes is just magical, you won’t believe it till you’ve tried it. And talk about an easy, cheap and healthy weeknight dinner? Yes, please!
All you have to do is boil some sweet potato, rinse a can of black beans, add some spices and these tacos can be on your table in under 30 minutes. A hefty dose of cumin and fresh-squeezed lemon juice are my secret here, they make the dish unbelievably good and you will be so glad you tried it. Serve with corn tortillas or flour and you have a delicious, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free dish. Serve in a bowl and voila it's paleo! Serve in my homemade flour tortillas for the best dinner ever, and serve with cheese, sour cream and hot sauce if you don’t give a hoot about those calories!
Plus orange and black? Break these out for your Halloween get-together and not only will you be the favorite for bringing sustenance to a table full of sugar, I’ve never met a person who doesn’t like tacos so you really can’t go wrong.